State News
| More

Christie Calls DOMA Ruling a Bad Decision



Hours after the U.S. Supreme Court’s landmark ruling today striking down the federal Defense of Marriage Act, Gov. Chris Christie maintained his opposition to same-sex marriage and lambasted the high court.

“It’s just another example of judicial supremacy rather than having the government run by the people we actually vote for,” he said of the high court’s 5-4 vote during his monthly radio show on NJ 101.5 FM. “I thought it was a bad decision.”

Christie reminded listeners tonight that DOMA originated with a Republican Congress and Democratic president.

“I thought that Justice (Anthony) Kennedy’s opinion in many respects was incredibly insulting to those people, 340-some members of Congress who voted for the Defense of Marriage Act, and Bill Clinton,” he said. “They basically said the only reason to pass that bill was to demean people.”

Christie’s comments echoed statements issued by fellow Republicans U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio and former Sen. Rick Santorum, who both said the Supreme Court overstepped its role.

“At least two presidential hopefuls have come out strongly against it,” said Jennifer Duffy, an expert on governors at the Washington-based Cook Political Report. “So whatever Chris Christie says it’s probably going to make a lot of sense for New Jersey for 2013 and maybe not so much for 2016.”

As he did last year, Christie said he would veto any gay marriage bill that reaches his desk.

View Full Story From Newark Star-Ledger

If you enjoyed this post, subscribe for updates.

Comments



Add Your Comment

You are solely responsible for the content of your comments. GOVERNING reserves the right to remove comments that are considered profane, vulgar, obscene, factually inaccurate, off-topic, or considered a personal attack.

Comments must be fewer than 2000 characters.
Most Viewed
Comments


Training Opportunities

Events & Webinars

  • Putting Crooks on Notice: How you can fight Identity Fraud
  • October 24, 2013
  • Fraud is on the rise. There is evidence that fraud has permeated virtually every government-based benefit program at the state, local and federal level. The federal government estimates that three to five percent of public assistance dollars are lost each year to fraud, and tax related identity fraud has grown 650% since 2008.




© 2011 e.Republic, Inc. All Rights reserved.    |   Privacy Policy   |   Site Map