Dylan Scott is a GOVERNING staff writer.E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
New Mexico's application for a waiver from No Child Left Behind (NCLB) requirements has been approved, the U.S. Department of Education announced Wednesday, meaning each of the 11 states that applied for waivers in November received them.
The other 10 states that applied for the first round of waivers (Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, Oklahoma and Tennessee) received them last week. When those waivers were announced, the Associated Press reported that New Mexico was working with the department to fix its application.
In a statement, Education Secretary Arne Duncan said Wednesday the state had committed to the necessary reforms (such as revamping its accountability system and targeting improvement at low-performing schools) to receive a waiver.
“Today, New Mexico joins the ranks of states leading the charge on education reform by protecting children, raising standards and holding themselves accountable,” Duncan said in a statement.
According to the department, 28 states and the District of Columbia have said that they will file applications, due Feb. 28, for the second round of waivers. The department has also announced that the third round of applications will be due Sept. 6.