Lydia Mihalik Leads with a Fearless Adopted-Buckeye Heart
Lydia Mihalik is a fierce team leader and has a passion for improving the lives of others, two qualities that have suited her perfectly for Ohio’s public service as director of the Development Services Agency.
Subscribe to "In The Arena" on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts or Stitcher.
Though a Hoosier transplant, Lydia Mihalik has found a home in the Buckeye State. An internship in a small northwest Ohio community helped her realize her interest in local government, especially in community and economic development, and eventually led her to work for the city of Findlay, Ohio. Though she admits “I was pretty green,” she learned enough about how to develop, lead and grow a community that she was later elected to be the first female and the youngest mayor of Findlay.
But Lydia Mihalik will be the first to tell you that “you can’t be afraid to fail,” as it’s just a part of the learning process. And when “you want to make a difference in improving the life of others, you’ve got to jump in and not be afraid to do it.”
Lydia Mihalik loved being mayor because of its “opportunity to make connections and improve people’s lives.” Luckily, that same opportunity exists in her latest role as director of Ohio’s Development Services Agency. Her new role allows her to showcase what she learned as mayor and help other people fall in love with Ohio, “the most innovative, creative and entrepreneurial state in the Midwest.”
Listen to the interview to hear Lydia Mihalik discuss her love for Ohio, her thoughts on leadership and her cooking abilities as she appears “In the Arena.”
- Chris Cabaldon, Mayor of West Sacramento, Calif.
- Affie Ellis, State Senator, Wyo.
- Beth Niblock, CIO of Detroit, Mich.
- Eric Garcetti, Mayor of Los Angeles, Calif.
- Ed O’Keefe, CEO of the Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Library Foundation
- Blair Milo, Ind.'s first Secretary of Career Connections and Talent
- Phil Bertolini, Co-Director, Center for Digital Government
- Jo Ann Davidson, Ohio State Representative
- Dow Constantine, Executive of King County, Wash.
- Harry LaRosiliere, Mayor of Plano, Texas
- Rebecca Rhynhart, City Controller of Philadelphia
- Michael Crow, President of Arizona State University
- Mayors Melvin Carter of St. Paul, Minn.; Jenn Daniels of Gilbert, Ariz.; Jacob Frey of Minneapolis and Francis Suarez of Miami
- Chris Castro, Director of Sustainability for Orlando, Fla.
- Kim Foxx, State's Attorney for Cook County, Ill.
- Doug Burgum, Governor of N.D.
- Nan Whaley, Mayor of Dayton, Ohio
- Steve Benjamin, Mayor of Columbia, S.C.
- Kristen Cox, Executive Director of Utah Office of Management and Budget
- Acquanetta Warren, Mayor of Fontana, Calif.
- Greg Fischer, Mayor of Louisville, Ky.
- Themis Klarides, Minority Leader of the Conn. House
Governing is a division of e.Republic.