Ryan Coonerty knows Santa Cruz, California. After being raised in the small coastal city and then going across the pond and the U.S. for schooling, he returned to his hometown to get connected with public policy in a way that he felt he was missing in Washington, D.C.
He soon became interested in running for the city council as he noticed that the council was filled with people who were all of the same, older generation. “I felt like there was room to have a younger perspective” and the city agreed; he was elected to two terms as a city council member. Ryan thrived in the role and eventually went on to serve two terms as city mayor. His public service drive is fueled by his desire to help. “I want to make the world a better place for the next generation. There are many ways to do it, but I think one of the most impactful ways is always through government and public service.”
Just because he has a passion to help his Santa Cruz community doesn’t mean that he doesn’t encounter difficulties in his role as county supervisor. But he uses his previous experiences as city council member and mayor to help better understand that you can’t make everyone happy as an elected official, so he just continues “to just vote my conscience and let the chips fall where they may.”
Ryan Coonerty steps “In the Arena” to talk about not taking jobs too seriously, his diplomatic middle name, and his journey to continue improving Santa Cruz for the future generations.
- Lydia Mihalik, Director of Ohio's Development Services Agency
- Chris Cabaldon, Mayor of West Sacramento, Calif.
- Affie Ellis, State Senator, Wyo.
- Beth Niblock, CIO of Detroit, Mich.
- Eric Garcetti, Mayor of Los Angeles, Calif.
- Ed O’Keefe, CEO of the Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Library Foundation
- Blair Milo, Ind.'s first Secretary of Career Connections and Talent
- Phil Bertolini, Co-Director, Center for Digital Government
- Jo Ann Davidson, Ohio State Representative
- Dow Constantine, Executive of King County, Wash.
- Harry LaRosiliere, Mayor of Plano, Texas
- Rebecca Rhynhart, City Controller of Philadelphia
- Michael Crow, President of Arizona State University
- Mayors Melvin Carter of St. Paul, Minn.; Jenn Daniels of Gilbert, Ariz.; Jacob Frey of Minneapolis and Francis Suarez of Miami
- Chris Castro, Director of Sustainability for Orlando, Fla.
- Kim Foxx, State's Attorney for Cook County, Ill.
- Doug Burgum, Governor of N.D.
- Nan Whaley, Mayor of Dayton, Ohio
- Steve Benjamin, Mayor of Columbia, S.C.
- Kristen Cox, Executive Director of Utah Office of Management and Budget
- Acquanetta Warren, Mayor of Fontana, Calif.
- Greg Fischer, Mayor of Louisville, Ky.
- Themis Klarides, Minority Leader of the Conn. House