This small town had a decades-long relationship with a company before it closed its doors in 1971.
Saltville in 1893, where the water treatment plant sits today. The Mathieson Alkali Works began operations two years later. These small worker's houses mark the beginning of a long relationship between company and town. (Photo: Charles M. Perry)
West Main Street in 1927.
The Mathieson General Store circa 1938. The second floor served as a hospital.
May Day in Saltville in the mid 1940s.
Main Street, 1944.
Henrytown circa 1950. This small area of Saltville no longer exists. (Photo: Tom Totten Collection)
The OK Barber Shop crew of the early 1950s. (Photo: Loretta Frye Callaway Collection)
Patrick Henry Rebels Band march in the 1963 Christmas Parade. (Photo: Don Smith)
West Main Street, 1967. (Photo: Don Smith)
The Olin plant in April 1969. (Mathieson merged with Olin in 1954 and the name Mathieson was dropped at that time) In a sign of things to come, demolition of the coal plant has begun (foreground). (Photo: Don Smith)
Ron Nessen, left, of NBC News, interviews Saltville Mayor Bill Totten in July 1970 about the impending shutdown of Olin's Saltville operation. (Photo: Don Smith)
Olin train crew, April 3, 1972. (Photo: Don Smith)
Men gather at the closed Olin plant in April, 1972, where dismantling had begun. (Photo: Don Smith)
Tracks leading to the steam plant, April 1972. (Photo: Don Smith)
Demolition continues, April 1976. (Photo: Don Smith)
Marking the end of an era, the Mathieson General Store was razed in 1980. (Photo: Don Smith)