Politics

The Latest in the Christie Bridge Scandal

February 3, 2014
 

Gov. Chris Christie watched his state host football’s biggest game Sunday night from the privacy of a MetLife Stadium luxury box filled with his family and friends — including former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

But the George Washington Bridge scandal surrounding his administration didn’t break for Super Bowl Sunday.

Nor will it today.

The Associated Press reported Sunday that an aide to the Republican governor — and one of the 18 people subpoenaed by a legislative committee investigating the controversy — has quit.

Christina Genovese Renna, director of departmental relations in the governor’s office, left state government Friday, according to the report.

Still, Christie also got good news Sunday. A series of top Republicans — Giuliani chief among them — came to the governor’s defense two days after new allegations emerged.

And it was announced that Christie will speak at next month’s Conservative Political Action Conference, one of the nation’s top conservative gatherings — and an event that snubbed him last year.

Meanwhile, the committee of state lawmakers investigating the controversy is scheduled today to receive its first batch of documents demanded by the 18 subpoenas it served.

State Assemblyman John Wisniewksi (D-Middlesex), the panel's co-chair, said collecting the documents could be a drawn-out process, partly because many of those subpoenaed have requested extensions.

Christie himself dodged questions from reporters Sunday as he arrived at the stadium in East Rutherford.

But Giuliani told The Star-Ledger he’s seen no evidence that Christie knew of the controversial lane closures when they happened, despite recent allegations.

Join the Discussion

After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.

More from Politics