11AM PT, 2PM ET
Duration: 1 hour
Economists warn that looming federal tax hikes combined with the $109 billion in automatic spending cuts scheduled to occur in January 2013 could derail the fragile economic recovery if Washington fails to act.
Sequestration is the topic of the day, but there’s been little coverage about the specific impact the process would have on state and local governments, and in particular, on programs that rely on federal funds.
Attend this free GOVERNING webinar, bring your questions for our experts and find out what you need to know to prepare for the so-called fiscal cliff—and beyond. We’ll look at:
- Which state and local programs would be hit hardest by sequestration, which would be exempt and why.
- When state and local governments would actually lose funding.
- How deficit reduction would play out in 2013 as opposed to over the next 10 years.
- How Congress could avoid the cuts, what the alternatives are and why some scenarios could actually be worse than sequestration.
- Is the sky falling--or not? Reality vs. Hype.
Participating in the Webinar:
- Moderator: Ryan Holeywell, Staff Writer, GOVERNING
- Michael Wallace, Program Director for Community & Economic Development, National League of Cities
- Marcia Howard, Executive Director, Federal Funds Information for States