Governing U is an index of public sector management and policy degrees from universities across the country. It provides a single source for browsing offerings from Master of Public Administration (MPA) , the Master of Public Policy (MPP) and the Executive MPA and certificate and other professional programs designed specifically for the education needs of working professionals in public service. Each entry includes a description of program offerings in the schools' own words. Governing U’s unique map interface also allows you to see the national landscape for public service grad programs and select schools for a closer look by geography
Established by the University of Missouri Board of Curators in May, 2001 the creation of the Harry S Truman School of Public Affairs represented a major commitment to public affairs education, research, and public service on the Columbia campus. Since 2001, the School has added faculty, redesigned the MPA Program, initiated an interdisciplinary Ph. D. program, and significantly increased research, public service, and outreach activities.
In addition to its academic programs, the Truman School is home to the Institute of Public Policy, the Center for the Study of Organizational Change, the Rural Policy Research Institute, the P-20 Center for Education Policy Research and other affiliated research centers.
The mission of the Truman School is to advance the study and practice of governance in Missouri, the nation, and the world by:
* Conducting Research: Scholarly research, the production of new knowledge, and its dissemination are central to the work of the Truman School. Across diverse areas of scholarship, our faculty, staff, and students make important contributions to theory and practice.
* Informing Governance and Public Policy: Policy makers confront increasingly complex, challenging and contentious issues. Through its Policy Programs, the Truman School helps to bring knowledge and expertise directly to policy makers.
* Educating for Ethical Leadership: Education for ethical leadership in public service encompasses professional development, continuing education, graduate certificates, and graduate degrees. Our graduates apply their knowledge and skills to the critical challenges facing the public, private, and nonprofit sectors.
* Preparing the Next Generation of Scholars: The Truman School offers an interdisciplinary Ph.D. in Public Affairs designed to prepare graduates for careers in college and university teaching and research as well as in applied research settings in the public, private and nonprofit sectors.
* Fostering Democratic Discourse: The Truman School provides a meeting ground for policy makers, community members, scholars, and students to engage issues of public policy. Community forums, roundtables, lectures, and other civic events facilitate public dialogue.