The Less and Less Friendly Skies
Sure, the U.S. as a whole emits more harmful gases that any other country. But when you look at the latest data on a ...
Sure, the U.S. as a whole emits more harmful gases that any other country. But when you look at the latest data on a state-by-state level, it's clear that some states contribute to the problem a whole lot more than others.
Here are some tidbits from the U.S. Department of Energy's numbers for 2003, the most recent data available:
- Texas and Alaska each account for large shares of U.S. crude oil production, but even they are surpassed by the Federal offshore areas in the Gulf of Mexico and California, which produces roughly one-fourth of the U.S. total.
- Texas has vast proved reserves of natural gas - about one-fourth of the Nation's total and roughly twice as much as the proved reserves found in Wyoming, the State with the next highest amount.
- Wyoming leads the Nation in coal production; it typically produces more coal than the combined production of the next four top coal-producers - West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Montana.
- California generates more electricity from geothermal, solar, and wind energy sources than any other State, and Washington leads the Nation in hydroelectric power generation and in generation from all renewables (including hydroelectric) combined.
- Illinois and Pennsylvania rely to a great extent on nuclear power for electricity generation and, together, they account for approximately one-fifth of the Nation's nuclear power generation.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
On Voter ID, U.S. Supreme Court Won't Hear Texas Appeal -- Yet9 hours ago
Obamacare Repeal or Not, New York Orders Insurers to Cover Birth Control and Abortions10 hours ago
Fear of Trump Deportations Drives California to End Immigrant Health-Care Plan10 hours ago
Amazon Adds Vermont to List of States Where It Collects Sales Taxes10 hours ago
After Homeless Die in the Cold, Portland Opens Some Doors for the First Time10 hours ago
Ruling Upends Alabama's Unconstitutional Legislative Districts10 hours ago