Christopher Swope was GOVERNING's executive editor.E-mail: email@example.com
Talk about rebranding. King County, Washington was originally named in 1852 after Vice President William Rufus de Vane King, a plantation slave owner from Alabama. Later, the county went on to adopt a more benign, if pointless, logo for itself: a crown. (It's the king, get it?)
Well this week King County adopted a new logo, and a much better brand: Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The county had already renounced its ties to the slave-owning Veep and adopted MLK as its namesake in a law that passed the state legislature a couple of years ago. The new logo takes this change a step further. The image already adorns the county's website, and will be gradually phased into its stationery, vehicles, etc. over time.
Written and compiled by staff writers and editors, GOVERNING View is an on-the-ground, and sometimes behind-the-scenes, look at the topics we're covering in print and online. From notes on what's up in statehouses, county courthouses and city halls, to encounters with people, places and things, GOVERNING View is a window into the side of state and local government you don't always see.