AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
Ex-Director Allegedly Used North Carolina Union's Money for His Vacations5 hours ago
Facing Near-Record Crime, Baltimore Enlists Feds' Help5 hours ago
Comedian Amy Schumer, With Cousin Chuck, Pushes Gun Control Measures8 hours ago
Scott Walker: The Only Governor to Expand Medicaid at State Taxpayers' Expense9 hours ago
For First Time, Court Rules Ban on Secretly Filming Animal Abuse Unconstitutional9 hours ago
Prisoners Continue Days-Long Hunger Strike in Utah9 hours ago