AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
The Week in Public Finance: Moody About Ratings, the Worst-Funded Pension and Data Disappointment3 days ago
Some States Call for Bigger Cuts in Greenhouse Gas Emissions3 days ago
Jeb Bush’s Medicaid Fix: More Choices, Fewer Benefits?3 days ago
Ex-Virginia Lawmaker Vows to Marry the Teenager He Got Pregnant (and Run for Senate)3 days ago
6 Baltimore Police Officers Indicted in Freddie Gray's Death3 days ago
Judge Legalizes Gay Marriage in Alabama, But Not Yet3 days ago