AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
How Are States Using Welfare Funding? Often, Not to Help People Work.13 hours ago
Google Fiber Pauses Plans to Expand to More Cities15 hours ago
Obama Tells Pentagon to Speed Up Review of National Guard Bonuses16 hours ago
In Maine, Winning the Lottery Now Means Losing Food Stamps16 hours ago
Amid His Re-Election, Anti-Immigrant Sheriff Arpaio Slapped With Criminal Charges18 hours ago
Court Clears Michigan Voters to Take Ballot Selfies18 hours ago