AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
All U.S. Blood Donations Should Be Screened For Zika, FDA Says23 hours ago
Displaced Workers Faring Better, But Many Remain Unemployed1 day ago
Insurance Concerns: Half of Louisiana's Recently Flooded Homes Not in 'High-Risk' Areas1 day ago
The Week in Public Finance: Pensions' Funding Gap, An Assault on Fees and More1 day ago
Sioux Tribe Could Get New Legal Help in Challenge Against Oil Pipeline in North Dakota1 day ago
New Tennessee Drunk Driving Law Endangers Federal Road Funding1 day ago