AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
The Week in Public Finance: Several Shades of Bad News2 days ago
Los Angeles Failed to Collect $1.8 Million in Overtime Reimbursements3 days ago
American Wages Might Explain Puerto Rico's Economic Troubles3 days ago
Majority of Americans Say Confederate Flag Isn't a Symbol of Racism3 days ago
5,000 Evacuated Following Tenn. Train Fire3 days ago
Gerrymandering Likely to Get Worse in States3 days ago