AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
Undocumented Immigrants Can't Be Denied Bail, Rules Missouri Supreme Court10 hours ago
Interstate Health Care, Part of GOP's Replacement Plan, Has Failed to Attract Insurers' Interest11 hours ago
Child Care Subsidies Are Dwindling, for and by the States12 hours ago
What Oakland Can Learn From Rhode Island's Response to Deadly 2003 Fire12 hours ago
30 Road Projects Halted in Montana Due to Budget Shortfall12 hours ago
South Carolina Makes History With 4 Women in State Senate13 hours ago