AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
Texas Republicans Champion Higher Wages for Health Care Workers2 hours ago
Indianapolis Comes Closer to Passing a Homeless Bill of Rights2 hours ago
Serious Financial Ties Between Police Chiefs, Company That Makes Body Cameras2 hours ago
Head of North Carolina Court System Retires After Gay Marriage Battle2 hours ago
New Jersey Mayor Forbids Questions at Town Council Meetings3 hours ago
Massachusetts Governor Says Early Retirement Plan Will Save Money3 hours ago