AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
California May Raise Smoking Age to 215 hours ago
Illinois Budget Crisis Means Lottery Winners Have to Wait for Payout6 hours ago
Governor of Florida Declares Emergency Before Erika Hits6 hours ago
University of Texas Will Move Jefferson Davis Statue12 hours ago
Michigan Won't Allow Marijuana Treatment for Autism12 hours ago
Pot Group Goes to High Court to Change Ohio's Legalization Ballot Language12 hours ago
More from Better, Faster, Cheaper
Didn't find what you were looking for? Search our archives, or subscribe to one of our e-newsletters, and we'll bring the news to you!