AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
Tim Kaine: The 3 Lessons I Learned From Local Government39 minutes ago
DNC Chair Debbie Wasserman Schultz Resigns3 hours ago
With Restorative Justice, Offenders Avoid Prison and Victims Get a Bigger Voice3 hours ago
Nevada Ends Segregation of Prisoners With HIV3 hours ago
Campaign Signs Ruling From Supreme Court Pits Kansas Versus Its Cities3 hours ago
Illinois Lawmaker Abruptly Leaves Office -- and Social Media4 hours ago