AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
Skyrocketing Court Fines Are Major Revenue Generator for Ferguson13 hours ago
The Week in Public Finance: Rhyme Time, Slow Money and Water Works16 hours ago
California Legislature Rushes to Complete Bills Before the Session Ends18 hours ago
Does Adrian Wyllie, Florida's Libertarian Candidate for Governor, Have a Chance?18 hours ago
Acquitted Mayor Sues Florida's Governor, Wants His Job Back18 hours ago
Georgia Fights Efforts to Outlaw Online Gambling18 hours ago