AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
2014 Governors Races: The Year of the Tossup2 hours ago
The Biggest Push Yet to Make Health-Care Prices Public2 hours ago
The West, without Water1 hour ago
Louisiana May Determine Control of the U.S. Senate1 hour ago
Lawsuits Accuse Alabama Jailers of Letting Prisoners Die from Easily Treatable Illnesses53 minutes ago
Alabama House Speaker Charged with Corruption1 hour ago