AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
Feds Halt High-Speed Rail in California36 minutes ago
In Voter ID Case, Judge Sanctions Texas for Stalling6 minutes ago
Appeals Court Gives Doctors Free Range to Discuss Guns in Florida53 minutes ago
North Dakota Governor Kicked Off Senate Floor for Wearing Jeans1 hour ago
West Virginia's Secretary of State Fires a Third of His Staff1 hour ago
Carl Brewer's Run for Kansas Governor Could Spark State's 1st Democratic Primary Since 19982 hours ago