AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
A Two-Generation Approach to Poverty2 hours ago
California's Earthquake Warning System Is Ready to Go3 hours ago
Protests After Ferguson Officer Escapes Indictment8 hours ago
The Many Political Comebacks of Marion Barry9 hours ago
Atlanta Fire Chief Punished After Writing Religious Book9 hours ago
Do Firehouses Need Washing Machines?9 hours ago