AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
States with Serious Abortion Restrictions Also Have Poor Health Outcomes15 hours ago
The End of the Traffic Jam?15 hours ago
Cybersecurity Worries of State Governments16 hours ago
St. Louis Police Unit to Focus Specifically on Police Shootings16 hours ago
Colorado Court Weighs Legality of Firing for Off-the-Job Pot Use18 hours ago
Marijuana Decriminalization Takes Effect in Maryland19 hours ago