AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
States Making Long-Term Birth Control More Accessible1 hour ago
Different States Have Implemented DACA Very Differently43 minutes ago
LAPD Facing Community Trouble over Shooting of Mentally Ill Man28 minutes ago
Another Atlantic City Casino Closes8 minutes ago
Judge Halts Enforcement of New Louisiana Abortion Law4 hours ago
Detroit Bankruptcy Trial That Decides City's Fate Begins Today4 hours ago