AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
Making the State Legislature a Nicer Place2 hours ago
Anti-Gay Marriage North Dakota Legislator Comes Out as Gay1 hour ago
Alaska Governor Demands Legislature Return to Finish Budget1 hour ago
Member of Atlantic City Emergency Management Team Leaving1 hour ago
Baltimore Invokes Curfew and National Guard After Riots Erupt Throughout City4 hours ago
Baltimore Police Chief Has Record of Handling Police Killing Protests4 hours ago