AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
Why the Execution Drug Shortage Will Likely Worsen3 hours ago
U.S. Supreme Court Puts States' Sex Offender Monitoring Into Question2 hours ago
Utah Raises Gas and Property Taxes1 hour ago
Indiana GOP Working to Clarify 'Religious Freedom' Law1 hour ago
Colorado Opts to Regulate Instead of Ban Powdered Alcohol1 hour ago
Second Suicide in 1 Month Shakes Missouri GOP53 minutes ago