AZ Looks to Close Budget Gap
Not only is Arizona turning assets into cash through a sale-lease back approach, but Governor Jan Brewer's budget proposal is full of difficult cuts. The...
- eliminate the KidsCare program, which provides health coverage for nearly 47,000 children;
- reduce services for 17,000 seriously mentally ill adults - approximately half of that population;
- eliminate cash assistance for 10,000 families;
- close the Department of Juvenile Corrections, transitioning the custody of minors to county detention centers and laying off an additional 900 State employees;
- reduce State employee pay by 5%.
Expect to see more dramatic proposals as governor's nationwide begin to face the harsh reality of their budgets.
Join the Discussion
After you comment, click Post. You can enter an anonymous Display Name or connect to a social profile.
Trump Criticizes High-Ranking Republican Gov. Susana Martinez4 hours ago
Court: Ohio Restricted Voting to Point of Violating Constitution4 hours ago
As Gas Shortages Loom, Energy Emergency Declared in a Second State14 hours ago
Portland Tried to Change How It Teaches Climate Change -- and a Firestorm Erupted15 hours ago
Ferguson Loses Another City Official17 hours ago
Conspiracy Theorist Loses Race for Influential Education Gig17 hours ago